Saturday, May 16, 2015

All the Feels

It's been a fun, informative ride. We got to experience synthetic biology techniques first-hand, transforming e. coli into banana scents and light sensitive printers. We examined the social problems our field can face, with relation to bioethics and public opinion on our topic. We played out the economical difficulties that can prevent the acquisition of other researcher's parts, which is apparently a huge barrier to bringing products to market. Most thrilling of all, we we're all placed in the shoes of a researcher and told to use our brains and synthetic biology to affect great change in the world. No other course at MIT offers the 20.20 experience, so I'm really glad I took the plunge.
The process of collaboration with Team 99 Bottles was pretty amazing, especially as members got comfortable and let their talents shine through. Colin emerged as the lead researcher, Lee was the organizer and editor, Jackie was secretary who'd catch our oversights, and I just kept my head in the clouds, blurting out novel ideas from time to time. I'm not sure if there's an ideal group of people to comprise a research team, but Team 99 Bottles was certainly on the right track.
I feel Course 20 knowledge flowing through my veins! The concepts and methods by which we manipulate bacteria seem much more familiar and accessible than they did before. Device diagrams and timing diagrams have actual meaning! And the process of researching and uncovering information? Not as terrible as a thought it'd be hahaha. On that note, experts are certainly an invaluable resource, reducing our research times by a tenth, at least. That must be a great feeling--to have mastery of a subject to a point where you can be consulted for your knowledge and help others accordingly. 
It's funny that I ended up declaring Course 2 when I was inclined to Course 20 at the beginning of the year. It has nothing to do with me being scared away our put off by 20.020, but more about the variety of options post-undergrad. Biotech is an emerging field and I'm not sure if I want to work in academia yet, and besides those two options, the Course 20 road seems a little limited. Course 2 on the other hand have a multitude of career options to choose from. I suppose I'll know if my decision was right in due time, but I'm so appreciative to the 20.20 experience for informing my path much more than I could have done alone. Natalie has been a wonderful teacher and mentor throughout the entire experience, guiding us with a gentle hand and a great smile. Between the senior mentors, my peers, and Natalie, I feel like I have access to a wealth of resources and informed people as I move forward in my college career, and I'm so grateful for that. 
To conclude, I no longer think bacteria are gross (as I alluded to in my first blog post :) ). There's great potential in synthetic biology to solve world problems and great potential in each and every one of us to see it through. Thank you everyone for your great collaboration to the very end! Thank you seniors for being so charitable with your time. Thank you Natalie for taking us on this ride and I wish you so much luck with your future endeavors. :,)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. This is a moderated site and so all posts are reviewed before they are visible. We appreciate your patience while this review is underway.