Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Struggle was so Real, but so Worth It.

Seriously though, we have come so far since the beginning of this class!  Looking over the posts from the beginning of the semester really provided me with some perspective of how much more I now know.  Having very little experience in such a huge field coming into 20.020, I had no idea what to expect.  Although we only touched the surface of such a large science, I feel as though I now have a better understanding what biological engineering is all about.

This class, for me, was not entirely geared towards the introduction of biological engineering however.  It also allowed me to work in a small group for many weeks, constantly re-engineering, fine tuning, scrapping ideas, and thinking of new ones as we strove to come closer to our ultimate goal of making early detection of cancer more accessible.  The skills I have learned in this class including proper research techniques, efficient time management, and complex thinking in general will certainly benefit myself while at MIT.

Once again, looking back at my previous posts, I can see a trend of a much more focused approach toward the end of the class.  In other words, the first few weeks of the class were simply exploration, finding things that fascinate us.  As the course progressed however, I found myself becoming more and more immersed in the ever evolving problems at hand, of which there seemed to be a new one each week.

How far we have brought our project, from three adventurous ideas, to one finely tuned proposal in such little time brought tears to my eyes (not really, but it was still pretty cool).  Not only that, but having our final project be as detailed as it was, without even having access to laboratory equipment really highlights the power of in depth thought and problem solving.  This class was awesome (especially you Natalie), and although it was a race to finish everything at the end, the final outcome was well worth the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. This is a moderated site and so all posts are reviewed before they are visible. We appreciate your patience while this review is underway.