Tuesday: I’m excited that our design for a plastic
decomposition system is starting to come together! Breaking down the system
into a device diagram and a parts diagram has really helped me to understand
the thought process that goes into designing it. I never felt before that I
could engineer something that hasn’t been made before, but this way of thinking
has given me confidence that I can approach these problems in a systematic way.
It is slow going; our group spent a long time coming up with a device diagram
only to spend another long time re-doing it, and I suspect the parts diagram
will be constructed the same way. We really have our work cut out for us before
the tech spec.
Wednesday: We have moved on from the device diagram
to the parts diagram, and now this project is starting to seem a little
overwhelming. Where do we even start with finding promoters that work, or
compounds that will bind to our plastics of interest? It looks like we may have
to narrow down our sensing capabilities to just one plastic, and even that is
complicated. The chances are next to none that we will find promoters specific
to exactly the plastics we are looking for, but our task becomes more
complicated with every step we add to the pathway in between. It’s a lot to think
about, for sure, but I still think the project is worth taking forward. Even if
our final design doesn’t work out, this experience has already been so valuable
to me.
Moving forward, it looks like we will have to think more
about our chassis and our sensing systems. E.coli can’t survive for very long
in salt water, so we may have to switch organisms or focus on landfills instead
of oceans. Sensors are difficult, because most plastics are too big to enter a
cell, so we would need some sort of signaling pathway to get our promoters
going. We’ll definitely need to address these questions before the Tech Spec
next Wednesday, because I’m sure it will give us even more to think about!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting. This is a moderated site and so all posts are reviewed before they are visible. We appreciate your patience while this review is underway.