In the past two
weeks, I've seen our decomposition project grow from hand-wavey ideas and
concepts to something concrete, with detailed parts specifications and a plan
of action to bring it all together. It is very exciting, being a part of this
process of creation and seeing how your personal contribution plays just as
important a role as everyone else's.
I think it's
hilarious how, despite our thoroughness in designing the system, we entirely
overlooked the method by which the e. coli would receive their sustenance! As
it currently stands, our chassis wouldn't have lasted much time at all, when
you consider the amount of energy required to pump salt out and build
decomposition enzymes, all while being starved in the middle of the salty
ocean.
Wednesday's
inventor/investor activity was highly illuminating in terms of just how much
capitalism gets in the way of advancing the current states of science and
medicine. I voluntarily hindered another team's progress just so I can sign an
exclusive deal and rake in the dough, and while the stakes were significantly
lower in our little social experiment, I can't help but to think how much these
things happen in real life, on a large scale.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting. This is a moderated site and so all posts are reviewed before they are visible. We appreciate your patience while this review is underway.